Providence utilizes the Skylert Notification Service by SchoolMessenger. This service allows us to send a phone, e-mail, and/or SMS text message to you providing important information about school events or emergencies. We will use this to notify you of school delays or cancellations due to inclement weather, as well as remind you about events such as teacher conferences, grade reports, etc. In the event of an emergency at school we will have the capability of informing everyone quickly by phone.
The successful delivery of information is dependent upon accurate contact information for each student so please make certain that we have your most current phone numbers. If this information changes during the year, please notify the main office immediately.
How will parents/guardians be notified by Skylert?
As the parent/guardian of a student, it is important for you to understand how messages will be delivered to you.
- For non-emergency messages, you will receive a telephone, email or both. Calls will be made to your home/primary phone and mobile phone. Emails will go to the address we have on file.
- Students may be contacted by text message, if their mobile phone is on file, regarding school, house, sports, and club events.
- Should a school emergency occur, in addition to being called at home and mobile, your work number on file will also be called as well as additional emergency contacts.
- Phone numbers and e-mail addresses of those listed as emergency contacts will only be used to notify you during a school emergency.
How will I know that I have received a message from Skylert?
Here is what you need to know about receiving a phone call via Skylert.
- Phone calls will display the school’s phone number for callerID and the message will be preceded by “This message brought to you by SchoolMessenger”.
- Emails will contain a Skylert footer, and will be from an @schoolmessengermail.com or @schoolmessenger.com address.
What if the line is busy or there is no answer?
The Skylert system will make several attempts to reach each number. If the message is not able to be delivered, it is considered a failed number. Failures happen when a phone number is busy, disconnected, invalid, etc. If you are aware of a message that was delivered, but you did not receive a call, please contact the Main Office.
Why doesn’t the school’s phone number appear on the Caller ID of my phone?
Skylert transfers the caller ID information to the local telephone carriers, but it is up to those carriers to pass it along to their customers. Furthermore, different local telephone companies process Caller ID information differently. Some provide the name associated with the number, while others do not. For example, a telephone company may require an individual to subscribe to “Advanced Caller ID” in order to receive the school name along with the phone number. Unfortunately, we have no control over this feature.
Will the Skylert system call phone numbers with extensions?
The Skylert system is designed to dial extensions. Please make sure your work number you provide has an extension if applicable.
I have a telemarketer screening device. How will that affect the call?
If a contact has a device on their telephone line designed to prevent automated phone systems from connecting (e.g. TeleZapper, privacy Manager, Privacy Director, etc.), they may not receive the call. For example, with Privacy Director all unidentifiable incoming calls are rerouted and the callers must identify themselves for the call to go through. Because our system is automated, it will not identify itself; thus the call will not get through to the recipient. For screening systems that are dependent on Caller ID’s, recipients can authorize access for the school’s phone number through their device. Note that calls identified with the school’s number on the Caller ID generally have no trouble getting through Privacy Manager type systems.
I have a phone number on file, but I do not want to receive notifications on that line. What do I do?