The Mathematics program for Our Lady of Providence Junior and Senior High Schools is an integral part of the overall comprehensive curriculum and high academic standards of the school.
The program is designed to meet the intellectual needs of each student in an appropriate and individual way. Students will be taught the skills of mathematics with patience and caring, receiving help in areas where they are lacking, and challenges in areas where they excel.
Emphasis is placed on the mastery of problem-solving skills, the correct use of mathematical language, and the use of calculators and computers as tools in the learning of mathematics. Students will receive the instruction necessary to prepare them for success in today’s increasingly technological world.
General Goals and Objectives
- To provide all students the opportunity to take mathematics courses which meet their individual level of ability.
- To provide the opportunity for success in mathematics.
- To identify areas of difficulty for each student and remediate accordingly.
- To stimulate logical thinking skills.
- To teach the use of mathematics in every-day living.
- To teach the correct use of mathematical language.
- To teach the use of calculators and computers as tools in the learning of mathematics.
- To expose students to the ever-changing uses of mathematics and computers as decision-making tools in science and society.
- To expose students to the historical development of mathematics.
- To implement the goals and objectives of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, the State of Indiana Mathematics Standards, and the curriculum of the Archdiocese of Indianapolis.